Silver Commemorative Medal, Smyrna (Ízmir), Bournabat English College, facing classical head (ancient head)
In Bornova were the Greek schools for boys and the school for girls. At the beginning the Boys School was in the church’s courtyard, then the community bought the house with big gardens of Koumarian and the school moved there. Then in 1906, a new school was built.
The Girls School (Parthenogogio) was situated at the right of the church towards the Psyachi house. The school was built and financed in 1854 by Eustratio Petrocochino who died in 1865 from cholera. As there was not enough space in 1914, the benefactor Penelopi Sofianopoulo bought the big house of Reggio and donated it for a new school.
Greek Private Schools: there were many private schools.
Other Schools: Besides the Turkish state school, there were also schools of the Catholic Propaganda, of the Freres, the Nuns, the Italian Don Antonio with many Greek students. The Jews had also a school. The others were private. The English school, 1852, of Frank Turrell, where French, Latin and Greek languages were also taught. After Turrell, there were two priests – educators, the Dutch Lubouvié and the English Allen. There was also the English private school for girls of Florence Wilkin. In the 1836, there was also the Ecole Speciale de Commerce directed by Simon Roux.